Friday, April 18, 2008

Mandel Bread for Passover



This passover I made Mandel bread for the first time ever. I made one with almonds and one with chocolate chips.
Mandel bread
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1 1/2 cups cake meal
  • 1 cup chopped almonds (or 1 cup chocolate chips)
  • sugar & cinnamon to sprinkle over


In the mixer I beat the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy. The eggs will take on a pale yellow color.

Add the oil, salt, and almond extract until it is well blended. I sifted the cake meal and then slowly added it to the other ingredients while still mixing.

The stir in the chopped almonds or chocolate chips.


Let the dough rest for 45 minutes. It is a very sticky dense dough. Divide the dough into two l and then shape into two loafs on a greased cookie sheet. Sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon (I forgot the cinnamon)

Bake for 30 to 45 minutes until golden brown. The first batch I made the rack was to close to the bottom of the oven so the bottoms burned.

To try and fix the problem I raised the rack and the next two batches did not burn. After it comes out of the oven you slice it on the diagonal immediately (it looks like biscotti). Then put back into the overn for 10 to 15 minutes. Every 5 minutes I flipped over the mandel bread.


It went over very well at the Seder. The chocolate was much more popular than the almond, but both kind were delicious.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I tried this mandel bread and it was awesome! Actually wish I could have some more right now.